Other things

Tuesday 25 June 2013

London Town

Next week is my three months probation at the new job. Hopefully it will go well, if not I can spend my weeks holiday thinking of an alternative plan, probably involving marrying a rich dude called Pedro. Actually, that sounds quite appealing... 

The new job is going ok, it has it's ups and downs. I think I majorly underestimated how difficult it is settling into a new job. It's like you have to shape everything you've learnt from previous jobs/experiences into the rhythm of the new place. I don't think I'm ever going to allow myself to get as comfortable here as I was in my old job, it makes moving on even more difficult. 

What instantly struck me about my new work colleagues, aka the London folk, is that people do solely come to work to work. Their not bothered about making friends, having a laugh or even making cakes (see, I told you things aren't normal). They come in, get shit done and go home (or to some amazingly on trend bar/restaurant/gig that they read about in the Stylist). Initially I found it a bit odd, I'm used to discussing the latest Kardashian gossip over my Wheetabix, but more recently I've been thinking that perhaps it's a good thing. Maybe it's another lesson for me that it's ok not to be everyone's BFF, that actually it makes it easier to be focused, work hard and get ahead.

Without sounding up my own bum, I think I'm a rarity in London. I'm naturally friendly for one thing and even though I can sometimes be a nasty cow I am quite nice most of the time. I think that's already been noted by my new work colleagues, some of which have already described me as 'the most positive person'. So that's all good, especially when at times I felt the absolute opposite. What comes with being a softy like this though is a hoghtened sensitivity super power. Perhaps this London thing will beat that out of me, maybe it already has a little.

One thing that I always say when friends and family ask me how the new job is going is that at least I'm learning. And it's not just a cliche, it's true. Not only am I learning more about e-commerce, digital marketing and shoes, I am learning loads about me too. I guess whoever said we are always learning is right. That's what I find exciting at the moment, who knows what I'll be doing in another six months.