Other things

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Credit for Mr Double Date

Last night I met up with Mr Double Date for a drink. Officially it was the fourth date. In the lead up to it yesterday-day I was beginning to worry about what this might mean... Basically, I was going to have to snog him right? Wrong.

I met him at 830, I was already at the bar perusing the food menu. He did quite literally appear out of nowhere, I whipped  my head around and he was standing there. He looked a little nervous, as per usual, but I was cool as cue. After the obligatory 'hello, how are you?' he let me in on the fact that he only had two pound to last him until payday. Looks like I'll be buying the drinks then. If only I had a pound for every time...

The convo was good; chatty, flowing, there were even a few chuckles here and there. At about 10 I paid the bill (naturally). When I returned to the table he dropped this dating bombshell; 
'So what's happening here?'
A little shocked I collected my thoughts and formed some words. 
'Well I duno, I'm just going with the flow, it's nice to hang out...'

You know what actually went through my right at that minute? I thought there would be no way ON EARTH I would ever say that to a dude I was 'dating'. That I would never, and actually have never, address the situation so full on. I always thought that made me aloof and casual and not one of those bunny-boiler women who demand girlfriend status after the first boob graze. 

If the whole addressing the pink-elephant-in-the-room thing didn't have me falling off my bar stool, then the next thing he said would definitely do the trick;
'I just wanted to tell you that I really don't see this going anywhere, as in a relationship. I didn't think it would be fair to lead you on after all the drama of your last dating disaster' (yes he did know all about the Mr CBA situation but I didn't share the information in a crazy-not-over-the-ex kind of way, it was more of a I'm-not-really-feeling-myself-at-the-mo-and-this-is-one-of-the-reasons-why situation).

I was dumbfounded. No guy has ever, EVER been this honest and up front with me before. I don't think I have ever been that up front with a guy back. Lets give this dude the credit he deserves.

He carried on to say that he hoped we could still hang out, which of course we can! I'll just add him to my pile of non-sexual male friends. Easy peesy. 

When I was driving home I couldn't help my mind from milling all this over. I know it isn't necessary, he's told me all the facts and I'm really not that interested in him anyway, but in my mind is was like breaking news on Sky; 
Just In: Mr Double Date puts an end to the potential of any future with Shel, releasing a statement saying he 'doesn't see a relationship happening'. We go live to the scene to find out the implications of this on Shels sanity

I wondered if it was simply that he didn't fancy me (fair enough, I can add him to that pile too). I crazily thought about the amount of weight I've gained recently, blaming my biscuit binge for the end of another potential fling. It then crossed my mind that if only Mr CBA had been as honest with me as this way back in December when we first started hanging out, things could have been so different. I might not have lost my sanity.

Ah well. This little exercise filled its purpose; I needed to get back out there, I needed a little confidence boost (although I'm not sure if that objective was completed) and I needed to forget about Mr CBA (hmm, jury's still out on that one too...). Well, all in all I met someone new, made a new friend. All is good in the hood.