Other things

Tuesday 19 November 2013

POF: Plenty of Fish

I have kept it no secret that I have tried many of the online dating sites. I have tried out Tinder and Match.com. At one point I was even using FB as a potential dating tool. I'll admit however that I have never seriously used them to look for a date. Sure, I've uploaded a few snaps and made a good looking profile (I am in marketing after all...), but then I just let all the messages and likes roll in, rarely doing anything about them. I've probably been using it as an ego boost. Well, that is up until now.

Online dating has lost some of the shame it once had. Well, at least it's popularity has improved in my social circles. Urban relationship myths are spreading around friendship groups like wild fire; 'I know two friends who met their new boyfs on Tinder' and 'The couple who's wedding I am going to at the weekend met on Guardian Soulmates'. It's these hopeful stories that are encouraging singles to pop on to the App Store and download the latest fad in online dating.  

So my latest is Plenty of Fish (POF). Well, actually I have been a member for years. Again I set up my profile but just left it hanging. I kind of forgot about it until recently when a friend wholeheartedly pushed herself into online dating using POF and I think she'd say it had been a success.  

This morning, on the way to work, I downloaded the app and logged into my old account. I updated my profile (up-ing my age bracket search) and away I went. Within minutes I had my first message from vnice2meetu79. Then a few notifications popped up on my screen, it seemed Jonnyboy147, Andy_pandy82 and Ben-evolent liked what they saw too (seriously, you could not make this shiz up). 

All morning my phone was vibrating with notifications for messages from these dudes. In total I had 32 messages, in just one morning. I had to turn off my notifications to avoid the (unwanted) distraction from work. I hate to sound ungrateful but it kind of began to irritate me. Instead of feeling excited and hopeful at the prospect of all these potential dates, I felt unrealistically bombarded with cheesy, suggestive chat-up lines. 

OK, I will give some of the guys credit; I did receive a few nice, polite messages with a little intro, but on the whole it felt weird. I am as yet to respond to any. I want to sift through the messages at my own leisure and seriously consider weather any of these dudes are worth the effort. Obvs I am just thinking messaging but I am the worst for (not) messaging when I really am not interested - it just slips my mind. 

I promise to keep you up-to-date and entertained with any strange messages I receive. Who knows, this could be a great success. At the very least it's someone to message, right?