Other things

Monday 21 January 2013

Girlfriends vs. Boyfriends

Ever since that moment in series three of Sex and the City when Charlotte suggests that the girls friendships are what they have been looking for all along in relationships with men, I have questioned the importance of girlfriends over boyfriends.

I have so many good girlfriends, all my relationships with them are different (thankfully) but one thing is consistent in all of them; they are always always there for me. Weather I am calling at 11pm in tears over a boy or moaning over a glass of wine about work or worrying about how I am going to afford my latest horrific car bill; my girlfriends will talk endlessly and selflessly about my problems until I am done. And of course I'd like to think that I would do the same right back. This is what I believe to be the real meaning of friendship.
Recently I realised that no guy I have been in a relationship with has ever been there for me as much as my girlfriends (and obviously my Mum). I don't honestly know if any man will ever be there for me as much. I have such high standards when it comes to things like that; I'm a stickler for reliability, I love reliable, dependable people, it's just one of my things. Along with people who are honest and trustworthy I have so much time and respect for people who are dependable. But perhaps that's the thing, perhaps that's the thing I am looking for in my ultimate guy.

I floated the idea of great girl friendships and fun boy relationships with the girls recently. They loved the idea, but what girl wouldn't?! Hands up who wouldn't enter into a trusting, honest relationship with someone who remembers your birthday, who can talk to you and watch the tele at the same time and who you can share shoes with?!

I know what your thinking, this is all well and good but what about sex? Well, there's this high street sex shop where you can buy these amazing toys,with only 4 AA battery's you can... JOKES. How about going elsewhere for the snogs and the sex. Hell, meet a boy on a Saturday night in town, use and abuse and move on. It happens.

And what if you find someone you can have both the relationship and the sex with? Well then you've won.