Other things

Monday 11 November 2013

The 'Guest Lecturer'

I conquered a fear today. I stood in front of 120 fashion retail students at London Metropolitan University and became a 'guest speaker'. It was kinda scary. Especially when the lecturer frog marched me down the middle of the lecture hall and stood me in front of the large cinema seated lecture hall. It kinda transported me back fours years to my final year of Uni.

A few months ago I approached an old lecturer of mine who I had spotted on LinkedIn. She now works at London Metropolitan. I have always fancied the idea of eventually going back to Uni; to study or to teach. Probably when I've tired of the fashion retail conveyer belt.

I kind of envisaged a room full of eager 22 year old me's, but instead it was a roudy bunch of undergraduates, probably hungover from last nights antics and most of them tapping away on iPads. Probably a closer, more realistic, similarity to what my old Uni lectures used to be like (without the Apple technology), much to the opposition of my memory and imagination. 

I was a little nervous at first, a little stumbly, but I soon felt comfortable and was chit chatting away. Once I start talking there is no stopping. I reached the end of my pre-prepared slides and felt a little sad. I wanted to stay a bit longer and to talk a bit more. Luckily there were questions...

I came out after an hour feeling proud. Proud of myself for setting that up in the first place and proud of myself for having the balls to do it. I had that interview feeling, you know when you think 'yea, I did my best there'. I wasn't all that bothered about how they thought it went but more focused on the feeling of accomplishment. I need to have this feeling more. I need to feel proud and like I'm achieving stuff. Maybe that's the key to all this. 

Next on my conquering agenda is to decorate my flat. I am on my way to purchase the Laura Ashley paint (naturally) right this min.