Other things

Thursday 1 August 2013

Pear Shaped by Stella Newman

This morning I finished reading a bizarrely-too-close-to-real-life book. It was good. It had such a relevant ending that I had to stop myself from crying. Sobbing over a book on a commuter packed train never looks good (or particularly sane). 

So this book was about Sophie. She had completely fallen heart over head for a man she really shouldn't have. She ignored all the warning signs throughout their entire relationship and foolishly took him back on those rare occasions her sanity actually made an appearance and made her end things. Obviously there was a horrendous break up. Sophie spent 6 months trying to get over this guy. He had gotten to her big time (I hear ya' sister). She lost weight, then gained weight. Her Grandma died and she left her job (any of this ringing any bells?). In the end she had to go to a boot camp in Italy to finally rid this man from her heart and mind (I'm booking myself in next week). 

Do you want to hear the most bizarre bit that happened at the end that pretty much had me it tears? it's a bit of a spoiler, so if your going to read it yourself then perhaps you should look away now. Right, those of you still with me, listen to this...

In the end she meets this really nice man but in the epilogue she explains that she will always have feelings for the ex. She explains that over time they will fade blah, blah, blah. Then, last paragraph she writes about how she sees him drinking in a pub a few months later. She says he was flirting with a bunch of giggling girls. She says he still makes her heart lurch but she knows he will never change and that's simply not the life she wants. Anyway, I will give you ten points if you can guess what the pub was called she saw him in. Go on, one guess...

Yep. You got it. Unbelievably the pub she saw him drinking in was The Crown. THE BLOODY CROWN. I told you it was bizarre. I felt like I had a hallelujah moment at 8:47 in the morning. The Crown is my pub and the pub Mr CBA practically lives in. It's too symbolic for words. 

I text my Mum to explain what had just happened to me, that I felt God was talking to me through the medium of chick lit. Even she was stunned (my mums not nearly as spiritual as me). She asked what this meant. Well, I text to her, I guess I gotta just get over all this.

And there you have it. My eureka moment. The break through. The nail in the coffin.

I wonder how long this will last...