Other things

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Single Pros and Cons

I've made an observation. I am the last single amongst all of my friends. I'm not being dramatic, all of my close friends are in fact paired off. How has this suddenly happened? How have I missed this? Well, I suppose all my friends were out getting lives whilst I was entirely distracted by and wasting time with Mr CBA.

I'm going to try not to be so moany and annoying about this potentially very depressing fact (see, I'm not bothered at all). I am going to try to not let this get to me, mainly because I am concerned that this here blog is only a few posts away from being a Bridgette Jones-esque memoir of all things single, size 14 and drunk. Also, as you all probably know by now, my emotional state at the moment is fragile. If I dwell too much on this I could quite easily go insane.

Yesterday a friend was telling me about a blog entitled fortydaysofdating.com. The blog follows two single friends who are dating as an experiment for 40 days, in the hope they break their self confessed bad relationship habits (they say it takes just 40 days to break any habit; smoking, over eating or even falling for dickheads). I have only caught up after the first few dates. At the time of writing this post they are only on day 16. I am really looking forward to reading what they discover and if, so the about page wonders, they do in fact fall in love.

This all got me thinking about the pros and cons of being single vs. hooked up.
Here is my little list;

Pros:
I can date/have sex with whoever I like, whenever I like
I can decorate my flat in all things Cath Kidston and Laura Ashley if I really really wanted to
I don't have to be home in time to put his dinner on
No Sky Sports
There is always the possibility that today I could meet the most amazing guy who I could fall madly in love with and spend the rest of my life blissfully happy
Sleeping alone in my big comfy bed

Cons:
Attending family/friends do's without a plus one
No one cares if your home from work or alive (my Mum doesn't count)
No cuppa tea bought to you in bed at the weekend
Having to take the rubbish out
Having to buy your own gifts e.g. jewelry, flowers, random electrical goods
No BFF who loves you and cares about you conditionally and entirely selflessly
Sleeping alone in my big comfy bed

When ever my relationship status becomes hot topic of conversation amongst smug married friends ("He's just a nob head with no nob!" "No need to sieve it; stir it Una") there are always a few that insist a relationship is not the be-all-and-end-all. That boys are sometimes really rubbish. After relaying my sexy senora story to another long term relationship-ed friend she confessed that she wished she could get up to mischief like that. Maybe you have to find a happy balance of single vs. married or maybe that's impossible. Maybe you gotta pick your box and stick to it. Truthfully I have no idea, but does anyone? We all make the best decisions we can at the time and slowly the days tick by.

Ultimately I guess all of this this simply boils down to the age old problem of the grass always being greener.